The roots of First Baptist Church Pell City date back to April 1903 when the church was organized. In 1904, the first church building was constructed on the area between the present sanctuary and Highway 231. The three-room frame building with its steeple and bell tower was a source of pride for those charter members.
The first major expansion program was undertaken during the time that Joe Bancroft was pastor (1937-39) and consisted of classrooms and more space in the sanctuary. Prior to that time, a pastorium had been acquired and it was located on the site of the Colonial Apartment Complex. The present pastorium was built in 1947. The original little white church was used until 1950. A larger building was planned long before that, and regular contributions were made to the building fund, even during WWII when building materials were not available. Through the years, additional lots were added to the church property until, in 1960, the final lot was obtained and the church owned the entire block.
By 1963, the need for additional education space was seen and the Education building was added. The installation of a church bell took place in 1973. The sanctuary was remodeled in 1970 and again 1991. In August 1990, the Kindergarten began the new school year in the newly constructed Family Ministries Building. The church staff moved into a new office suite in November 1990. In January 1991, First Baptist celebrated the new facilities with a dedication service followed by an Open House. This three story building houses additional education space, preschool, kindergarten, daycare, a multi-purpose room, and a walking track. The construction included remodeling a portion of the Education Building to enlarge the office space and Fellowship Hall, and to add a commercial kitchen.
Presently, the church property consists of the block on which the Sanctuary, Education and Family Ministries buildings are located, the lot for the Youth House (formerly the Pastorium), and two lots for the storage building and parking lot. As we celebrate the past we also look forward to the future. The church purchased almost 33 acres of property on Highway 78 (across from the Pell City Fire Station), which was paid off in December 2010. This property will be used for future ministry expansion and relocation.
Buildings are visible milestones of a church's progress, but the true value of a church is reflected in the faithful lives of its members and the people they have touched in Christ's name. For over one hundred and eight years, First Baptist has been preaching the good news of Jesus, making disciples, ministering to the community, and supporting the spread of the gospel around the world. Our prayer is that the Lord will continue building a meaningful history of ministry through us.